Additional Fees

My daughter was gifted a $50 vanilla gift card for her birthday. Unfortunately, it was filed away with the birthday greeting cards.

We recently unpacked the card and located the card, which truthfully we forgot about. However, now (4-yrs later :|) we tried to use the card and the balance available is zero. After talking on the phone with a customer service representative, it was made clear that there was a $2.50/ month fee assessed as a dormant fee. I thought i read an article that the gift card fees were deemed illegal?

Needless, to say I am disappointed. Partially, at myself for forgetting about the card in the first place, but I am also disappointed that someone spent $50 on a gift for my daughter but there is nothing to show for it because of these ridiculous fees by Vanilla. It seems unfair.

I normally do not purchase gift cards, with the exception of gifts for people I do not know personally. That said, in the future I will make sure I do not purchase Vanilla cards and that I look for gift cards that do not have fees except for my activation fee.

Product or Service Mentioned: Vanilla Visa Gift Card.

Reason of review: unfair fees.

I didn't like: Usd 50 value lost.

Comments